Monday, November 29, 2010

the bond

the following is an excerpt from something I'm working on. enjoy!




Jack and Michael start parading around the Odeon looking for people they know or recognize. Jack eventually goes to the bathroom, ultimately leaving Michael alone. He’s standing by the upstairs bar when he’s approached by someone from behind who taps him on the shoulder)

Ashley: Hey Michael is that you?
(Michael startled)
Michael: Oh hey, what’s up? (Doesn’t recognize her)
Ashley: How are you? You look great; I haven’t seen you in so long, what have you been up to?
Michael: Oh not much, just chillin’, working at the Freehouse.
Ashley: You don’t remember me do you? I’m Ashley, your Aunt Hilary’s husband’s daughter; I’m your sort of cousin. I know it’s been a long time since we’ve seen each other, but I thought you would have remembered me.
(Michael realizes that he does remember her, barely from some family thing 10 or so years ago)
Michael: Oh hey I’m sorry, I did and do, you just caught me off guard that’s all, I remember now, sheesh it’s got to be what 10 years or so since I last saw you. Didn’t your family move to Vancouver or something?
Ashley: Oh we did, we’re still there, I’m just back for the weekend visiting some friends and family.
Michael: Cool, well that sounds great, who are you here with?

(Jack returns, he sees Michael talking to Ashley, he notices that she’s really hot and somewhat happy to be talking to Michael. Jack smiles slyly, he takes his time walking over to them)

Ashley: Oh I’m here with my friends Megan, Jen and Katie, they’re around here somewhere. They dragged me out tonight, they’re all huge Black Rebel fans, me I could care less, plus we were up late last night having a big girls night, so in a way I feel like shit. I’m still trying to decide if I even want to drink at all tonight.
Michael: It’s funny that you say that, because my best friend Jack did the very same thing to me tonight, he’s around here as well...

(Jack jumps in when he hears his name being said, the two of them startled by his sudden arrival)

Jack: Michael what are you saying about me to this pretty girl?, it had better be nice or I’ll have to embarrass you like by saying that you used to cry after watching The Little Mermaid.
Michael: What? No wait a second, I was what 11 at the time and hey that’s nothing to be laughing about, that’s a good movie, at least I don’t watch the Notebook and cry like a little sissy.
Ashley: Well I can certainly tell that this must be your evil friend Michael, the banter is great boys and hi I’m Ashley, and you must be...
Jack: Jack, Jack Bones.
Ashley: Is that really your name?
Jack: Sure is darlin’, ain’t it majestic.
Michael: You’re such a fag.
Jack: What? Moi, never, I just have a certain panache that unfolds from time to time, something the ladies like to call charm.
Michael: Whatever you call it, cool it, you’re going to scare Ashley off, you know she’s kind of my cousin, well second cousin that is, through marriage.
Jack: Oh so you're part of the family are you Ashley? Excellent! I can always use another girl on my side of the fence to help me flirt with the next cutie on my list.

(Michael is now looking at Jack very annoyingly)

Michael: Uh sorry Ashley, he hasn’t had his medicine tonight.
Jack: Oh whatever, your life would be so boring if I wasn’t this charming and unique.
Michael: Really? You think so? Then if that’s the case why are you still single? Because surely a man of your considerable talents can coax any young girl into your arms; or maybe, just maybe is it that you may be a little high on yourself for well...no good reason.
Ashley: Ohh I love this, you two fight like a married couple.
Michael: We do not!
Ashley: Hey don’t worry, I like it, it’s cute.
Jack: You see Michael, she said I was cute, told you so.
Michael: She didn’t say you fuck head, she meant us.
Jack: Oh, Oops, silly me.
Michael: Anyways, Ashley do you want to hang with us for a bit?
Ashley: Sure, you two seem awesome, I love hanging with fun people.
Michael: Awesome, well then let’s get some shooters, I need to get going.
Jack: Hey bro no jagermeister, I’m sick of that shit, get some jamesons instead.
Michael: What? Come with us you bitch, we’re not your maids.
Jack: But I think I might stick around here and watch the opening band finish.
Michael: Fuck that, get over here you baby, we’re just doing some shots, you can watch them from at the bar.
Jack: No, just bring them over here, why do you need me to come with you guys, plus you two are family you need time getting re-acquainted.
Michael: Just come on.
Ashley: Yeah Jack come with us, it’ll be fun, I’ll even buy the drinks.
Jack: You’ll buy, well then why didn’t you say so, let’s bogie on then.
Michael: Oh now you’ll come, fuck you drive me nuts sometimes.
Jack: I must be the only pair you have, ah how sad.
Ashley: You two really are married, I love it.
Michael: If that’s true then I’m about ready to divorce this bitch.
Jack: I ain’t the bitch, you are, I’m the giver, you’re the taker ala Jake Gyllenhal in Brokeback Mountain, mmm you are one fine piece of ass.
Michael: Gross, quit it.

(Michael, Jack and Ashley arrive at the bar and wait in line, they wait 2 minutes and then order shots and drinks, Ashley pays for them all, not without Michael trying to pay for some, Jack stands by and collects his free beverage. They do a round of shots together)

Jack: Ah now I feel better, good choice on the shots Ashley, what were they?
Michael: Uh fuck head they were Sicilian kisses and she didn’t pick them, I did.
Ashley: Yeah Jack, sorry to disappoint you but Michael picked them, but I’m happy to pick the next round if you’d like.
Jack: Word on that, because it sounds like a certain someone has his panties in bunch.
Michael: Uhh whatever, let’s go, I think we’re in the way. (others are trying to order)
Jack: Finally! Let’s go down below and try to get close to the stage, I want to watch them as close as I can.
Michael: You’re not going to lose it and do that jumping up and down dancing bs you always do are you?
Jack: Whatever do you mean?
Michael: I mean that kangaroo up and down thing you do when you’re listening to music.
Ashley: Ah that sounds cute.
Jack: See Michael, Ashley thinks it’s cute, so layoff, at least I’m willing to have fun.
Michael: Hey I like to have fun, I’m just trying to prevent you from looking like an idiot, at least I can dance, what you do, that ain’t dancing.
Jack: Oh really, well first off when was the last time you went to a show? What 10 years ago, and I’ve been to how many? At least a hundred, so let’s just keep those yap comments to yourself, I know what I’m doing and I love having fun, you should try it sometime.
Ashley: Boys, boys no need to get angry at one another, let’s just go down there and have a good time, actually I think I see my girl friends down there, so come on
Michael: We’re not fighting
Jack: No, were good girl, we're just talking, this is how we always talk.
Ashley: Well it sounded like fighting to me.
Michael: Oh sorry Ashley, no that’s just Jack and I ripping on another, it’s how we talk, I guess, basically we just bitch at one another until someone changes the subject.
Ashley: Oh, okay; are you sure you two aren’t married?
Jack: Eww, me marry this monkey armed bitch hip punk, gross, he wishes I’d get down and suck his cock.
Michael: Okay Jack whatever, no need to gross out Ashley now
Jack: Why not, it’s fun.
Ashley: Oh I think I’m going to love you Jack.
Jack: They all do sweetie, they all do.

(Michael looks away in disgust; they all move down to the stage and meet up with Ashley’s friends)

Jack: Fuck Yeah! This shit is awesome, I love it, aren’t you guys excited.
Ashley: Hey girls, this is Jack and his friend Michael; Michael’s my cousin, I ran into them at the bar.

(There’s 3 girls, Megan, Jen and Katie; Jack and Michael size them up)

Jen: Oh hey guys, how’s it going?
Michael: Oh good, just chillin’, waiting for Black Rebel to come on
Jack: Have you girls been up here by the stage the whole time?
Megan: Not that long, maybe 20 minutes, I’m a huge fan of Black Rebel’s, so I didn’t want to miss them coming out.
Ashley: Yeah that’s when I went to the washroom and met up with you guys, like I was telling Michael before I’m not that big a fan, or should I say I’m not that familiar with their music.
Jack: Shit girl you're crazy, this band is fucking awesome, I can’t wait, it’s good to see some girls like myself excited for this show (looking at the other girls, then Megan), what was your name again?
Megan: Megan
Jack: Well Miss Megan, I say just for that how about you and I go get ourselves a shot or two, you down?
Megan: Sure am.
Jack: you girls want to come too? (looking at Katie and Jen)
Jen: Sure.
Katie: Sure, let’s bogie.
Jack: Did you just say bogie?
Katie: Yeah why?
Michael: Oh that’s Jack's favourite word, he uses it all the time, I can’t believe you haven’t heard him say it already.
Katie: Really?, that’s your favourite word?
Jack: Sure is darling’, I love zat word, it's so much fun to say
Ashley: Cute
Michael: Don’t you mean dork?
Katie: Come on Jack let’s bogie and get those shots you’ve offered up for us
Jack: Say bogie again
Katie: Bogie, bogie, bogie
Jack: Yeah!!! I love it!
Ashley: Okay sorry Michael but so cute

(All the girls blush at Jack’s assumed childishness and giddy, Michael wants to puke. Jack grabs the three of them and leads them on to the bar, Ashley and Michael stay back)

Ashley: Okay so I have to ask, how long have you two been friends?
Michael: What me and Jack?, oh about since we were 10, so close to 20 years I guess, why?
Ashley: Oh no reason, you two are just so cute together that’s all, he’s pretty fun to be around
Michael: Yeah he’s pretty cool, he drives me nuts sometimes, but yeah he’s fun, wild especially when he’s around a big group, he loves entertaining people. Plus concerts are his thing, he loves this shit, me I’m more laid back than he is, don’t get me wrong I love to party, but well not as nuts as he does.

No comments: