Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Currently I can't help myself...

...but be reminded of a girl.

Let me recount for you a moment I like to remember.

It's February 2001, I'm 21 and a university track and field athlete. After 3 long days of competition, I'm tired and sitting on a bus riding home from Winnipeg. Luckily for me on this night I found myself sitting in an aisle seat next to a lovely girl named Lindsay, someone I'd had a crush on for quite sometime. Throughout our ride home she and I would talk, laugh and connect as we watched pretty boy Brad Pitt strut his manly self in the 50's style hollywood epic "Legends of the Fall". I'd decided beforehand to bring along a few movies for everyone to watch as I'd been sick of the same ones my coaches tended to bring, y'know which ones, Rudy and the like. As I was bringing out Legends to put in the VCR (yes I'm old, this happened a long time ago) Lindsay excitedly jumped as she'd been meaning to watch Legends for some time. Surprise, surprise. Good choice I guess.

Anyways, why I'm bringing this up is this,
one. I'm currently watching Legends this second and
two. when I do, it always brings me back to that day.

Mostly however, I just love thinking of myself sitting there with her and 55 others as we all watched this melodramadic little opus unfold. I remember the feeling I had as she and I curled up next to one another, our feet pushed up together into the seats in front of us, hands held tightly fully engaged. When I think back to that time I'm reminded of my naiive self, my youth and the purity I once shared with her. Back then that moment made me feel alive as though anything were possible.

Though we would never go on to date, let alone kiss, I'm reminded that for but a brief moment I shared something special with her. Fleeting as it may be now, I love bringing myself back to that time.

No comments: