Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Wine! Vin! Vino!...well you get the idea

A few days back I mentioned, (very briefly I might add), how much I love wine. Oh boy do I love it, almost as much a me girl Hayles. Whether it be a juicy Rhone valley Syrah or a Napa Valley Zinfandel, to a sweet and crisp Alsacian Riesling, I can always find passion and happiness in a great bottle. For me wine is one of the most amazing human discoveries ever, I love how you can do so many things with it. Take a grape and make a red, white, sparkling, ice, port you name it, for me it has no limitations or boundaries. Anyways, there's no sense in dancing on further with my fondness for the great fermented grape, today I just want to put out some of my favorite varietals, bottles and such. Simple, easy and very much moi.

White:

White wine I will say is a joy to drink, I love its crispness, frutiness and balanced flavor. The one difference for me between a red and white is the sheer strength a white has in showing its full colors. When you drink a shit white, you can tell immediately. Whereas with a crap red you can tell but I find it can take a few stabs to truly know how bad it can be. As for varietals, my favorites are Rieslings, Pinot Gris and Gewurstraminers. I do also love Champagne or Sparkling and a good Rose and Ice wine. Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blancs are horrible, too oaky and brassy. For me the rule to follow is the sweeter, the better.

As for bottles I love:
Rosemount Estate Riesling/Traminer blend - awesome fruit and wicked flavor, I could guzzle this stuff
Grey Monk Pinot Gris - Fucking unbelievable stuff, light, crisp and easily drunk, a great summer wine, it's just unfortunate that to get it here is almost impossible. :(
Kabinett Riesling - This wine is nice little treat to drink, not as sweet as my other favorite above, namely due to the lack of Gewurstraminer, this white possess all the great qualities of a good riesling, full fruit flavor, great color, nice aroma and a joy to drink. Excellent food wine, especially with sushi and fish.
Mission Hill Estate Ice Wine - This shit is gold in a glass. I once drank a bottle of it at a wine tasting, yum yum yum!!!

Red:

When I wake up in the morning with a stumble to the bathroom, hair disheveled, sporting a wonderful jokeresque red wine smile, I'm always reminded of why I love this shit. You drink a bit and you get hooked, you drink a lot and it leaves a mark on you, something you can't ignore. From drinking a glass with friends and family at the dinner table, to spilling endless amounts on your girlfriends cardigan while you dance at the bar in a glorious stupor, a glass of red has its charm and connection to my left hand. If I'm out and about, there's usually a glass right by, and can you blame me. Red wine has so much going for it, flavor, richness, aromas and most of all, the best drunk ever, nothing beats a great red wine drunk high. As for my varietal favs, I stick very closely to Pinot Noir's, Cab Sav's, Syrah's and Zinfandel's. Occasionally I'll jump for a good Italian Sangiovese or Spanish Tempranillo, but usually only with a rich big dinner.

As for bottles I love:
Bouchard Aine et Fils Beaujolais - great french gamay, love the simplicity and flavor, great anytime sipper
Rioja Riserva Tempranillo - My girl is gonna love me for this, she loves Spanish wine, this red is awesome, only had it twice but it still sticks out in my head as one great full and rich red that is wicked with food
Joseph Drouhin Pommard - This wine is a beauty, wicked fruit and very light tannins. I love this stuff, very much worth the price, it's kinda steep.

More to come, I'm just really tired and well to be honest I'm having trouble remembering my favorite bottles and their names. So sorry. However I do remember wanting to try New Zealand's Bald Hills Pinot Noir. later.


No comments: