Sunday, May 25, 2008

What the FuCKKKKKKKK!!!!

Is it just me or does anyone else find it rather unfortunate that we live in a society that is dominated by the accumulation of wealth at whatever the cost. Are we a society that promotes and thrives on the misconception and manipulation of others? Over the past few days I've been bombarded with the realization that what you may think is true and real isn't always what it seems. Okay I should know this already, that you shouldn't believe everything you hear or say, yes, yes I get that, but I guess I just never realized how much corruption and mis-conception there is in our world. I never imagined that what you may think is true isn't, and I'm finding that most of it is all in the name of money. All of my recent frustrations are centered upon that theme, "money", the bottom line or whatever you want to interpret. Take for instance a couple things I've learned not to be true this past week

- Most bottled water is merely tap water
- the term "made in Canada" doesn't mean made in Canada, but merely processed in Canada
- Organic doesn't mean Organic unless it says "Certified Organic"
- Michael Jordan's first retirement wasn't about him being tired or un-motivated, he was
forced out by the NBA due to gambling.

Okay so that last one might not be that big a deal to most of you, but take this into account, in the NBA, much like other professional sports, gambling is a big no no. If you are a highly paid professional athlete, you are not allowed in any form to gamble. I won't elaborate too much as to why, but in simplicity it is for maintaining the shear credibility of games, and well in the past anyone who has done so (think Pete Rose, Tim Donaghy) saw that their lives and careers were thrown right down the toilet. So when Michael Jordan in a 3 year span gambles up a bill to the tune of 1.2 million to various people in personal betting, it's a very BIG DEAL. However, for the NBA at the time this was Michael Jordan, their man, their cash cow, he was it, so suspending him or expelling him from the league was well hard to swallow. It would happen eventually, David Stern would soon have to drop the guantlet on his prized man, which resulted in Michael's eventual first retirement. But like all other business' who have "the bottom line" in mind, the NBA and David Stern soon realized that once Michael was gone, so were the big profits. Which ultimately led to Stern having to realize that he needed Michael back more than initially thought, even if it meant overlooking one of the NBA's sacred rules. Crazy huh!!! Maybe not, doesn't surprise me in the slightist, I just found this to be interesting. Shouldn't Michael be viewed in the same light as Pete Rose? Just a thought.

Am I spewing rhetoric that most leftist bastards like myself already know? yes. I don't know, I guess it just baffles me sometimes at what lengths we humans go to for money. Sorry I'm just bitching today. later.

ps. check this article if you want to read more on the Michael Jordan stuff



http://www.disinfo.com/archive/pages/article/id1635/pg1/index.html

No comments: