Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A personal application to become a writer

Hello there,

Before I begin I will admit I do not enjoy writing bio's, I find them a bit narcissistic and quite boring, oftentimes redundant and with no focus. But since this part of the application process is required for my acceptance, I will comply. I'll try my best to make this as interesting as possible.

Firstly, my name is Jamie Mah. I'm a young vibrant male from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. I'm 29 years old and currently living in downtown Vancouver. At present, I work in the hospitality world as a Supervisor for a casual restaurant called Chill Winston.

My history begins with the fact that up until the age of 18 I thought primarily of 3 things, food, track and field and girls and not much else. After high school, I immediately went on to study at the University of Saskatchewan in the college of Kinesiology. Having grown up around the track team my whole life I felt compelled to go and help my local university squad win more national championships, which we did for 6 years straight. Was this the ideal reason to attend university? Probably not, but I didn't care, I loved being on the team. However, after 3 years of track team fulfillment I decided that I wanted more. This didn't mean that my love for track had diminished, it just showed that I was at a place in my life where I needed to try something new. Therefore, for the next few years I wound up spending my time working at various jobs in the service industry. This was mostly because it was a great outlet for me to grow outwardly but also a chance to meet and make new friends. In a way I guess I just wanted to be young and free.

But with most things in life, one has to grow out of playtime and I certainly was no different. After some time spent travelling around Europe, I had another urge to experiment and try a new path. This time my decision eventually led me to moving to the big city of Toronto. With about a year simply adjusting to the city and finding my footing, I quickly branched out into various artistic areas. Thusly at one point I found myself modeling for a top Canadian agency and doing Toronto Fashion week, while also taking acting classes and being repped by a prominent acting agency. To top it off, on the side I was trying my hand at drawing, painting and as you can see here, writing. I had to get my hands into all there was, I wanted to see and experience everything under the sun. However, very quickly I realized that with writing I'd finally found a purpose, for once I actually cared. You see oftentimes I notice people lack the drive and passion in life to fully realize what it is they love; and if there is one thing I can take away from my 20's, a decade of much learning and growth with as many ups and downs as one can have is that I learnt how much I love to write. I may not be the best at it (yet), but it doesn't matter, all that matters is that it makes me happy.

Now I have yet to decide if I want to take things further with formal writing education (ie. Journalism school) since I feel it might dampen and constrict my creative juices, but hey you never know. However, I do know that right now I'm looking to grow and expand my writing resume. I want to be challenged and I want to learn, to grow, to fail and to experience all that there is to get from a writing profession. Now I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for in terms of a bio but if you do accept my application I can certainly tell you that I love to write, it's as simple as that. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jamie Mah

No comments: