Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New City, New home, Same old Kobe.

A couple of days back the most anticipated game of the season (at least for me that is) took place between the Lake show and the Cavs @ Staples. As an avid NBA fan I sure love when I'm right. I knew right from the get go back in late October that Kobe vs LBJ would wind up being the best match up the NBA has seen since Bulls vs Knicks in the early 90's. By far the best two players on the two best teams, not much else I could ask for. However, having to watch the game in the confines of a friendly downtown Vancouver sports bar sure added to fun. This being my 5th day here in the pacific north west city, my girl and I have had to endure life without certain amenities, no tv, no toaster (oh how I miss you), no microwave, no bed and so on as we await our home life stuff to arrive from Saskatoon. But no Laker game? Fuck that! That wasn't something I was going to wait for. All day long I abounded with joy at how the nights game would be nothing short of a thriller. Here therefore are a few notes that caught my eye from the Lakers romp.


- Kobe is one tough SOB: Dislocates his finger and still manages to defend LeBron marvelously. 20/12/9 is a pretty damn good game, especially against the leagues best defense.


- Kobe is the best defender in the league: Held LeBron to 36% shooting, 23 pts, but most importantly to a game where he wasn't that involved. For me that is the mark of a true MVP, a guy whose willing to check the other teams best player and sacrifice his stats for the betterment of the team. I totally understand why he's been All NBA First Team Defense 7 times.


- LeBron is one bad ass mofo: The guy is Magic with Dominique's power, he is fucking fast, strong and fucking hard to guard. He has by far the highest ceiling of any player in the league now and in history, well except for Shaq. If only he had more intelligence and a stronger mindset of the game, plus a better defensive approach and more crisp shooting he could go down as the best ever. At 24 he still has time to develop, it only remains to be seen whether a summer in the gym vs a summer of celebrity can be coaxed into him. This to me is what separates he and Shaq from being the best ever, they both lack the killer "I"m going to die trying to be the best" attitude that MJ and Kobe both exude. It remains to be seen here that if the results had been flipped to where LBJ suffered that injury if he would have stayed in the game. Something tells me no. But hey that's me.


- When LA's bench plays the way they can, they're unstoppable: Odom, Ariza, Farmar, Vujacic and Radmanovic all could start for most teams in the league, and when they're on boy can they fucking play. The verdict is still out on Odom and Radmanovic, I still would trade them and get a Paul Millsap type player to back up Gasol and Bynum, but as it stands this bench can play. They move the ball well, run even better and they all can shoot. If they catch a good head of steam, I say look out.


- Cleveland is still one player away from a championship: I say ship Wally out and go get someone now who can contribute in the post season. Whether it be Marion, Carter or even some blue chippers I say why wait, this team needs some size, Varajeo and Wallace are to soft and old to combat the taller teams and Illgauskas shouldn't be counted on too much at this stage of his career. They'll still be in the East championships and maybe the finals, but I say why risk it, go for it and package Wally's expiring for something now. With that D and LBJ this team could beat LA if the right player came by.

Not much else to say on this. later.

No comments: